Skip to main content

Our Halloween

Well, this halloween was different than most for us. We started off our day going to the library for story time and trick-or-treating at the library. They had all the librarians dressed up and passing out candy and treats and also had crafts and cookies/drinks for the kids. That was fun, but of course, we didn't get our act together quick enough to take pictures! That afternoon, we were going to rush to the Mall to pick up a last minute Buzz Lightyear costume for Matthew on our way to our church Halloweiner party (passing out free hot dogs) but of course around 4:00 when we were getting ready to go, we were visited by a Kirby vacuum sales lady. She was talking so fast that really I don't remember what she said. She told me that they were a new company in town and something about carpets, and free shampoo, and word of mouth, etc. and next thing I know is there are 3 people at my door ready to come in and shampoo. They said it wouldn't take long, so I thought ok...Hey it's a free carpet shampoo! So after showing me all the dirt they pulled off our carpet, the dust mites off our beds, the dust off our electronics, etc. I told her that I was in a hurry and needed to leave. So about 6:00 after we are already late for our party and still have no costume for Matt, she shows me the prices trying to sell me one of these machines. The price was $2300...for a vacuum!! And then they kept lowering it and eventually brought the price down to $1500, but I told them I wasn't going to buy one and especially not without talking to Daniel first. Anyways, long story short, we did get a free carpet cleaning, we were late for our party, and Matt had to wear overalls and a hat and go as a Farmer...haha. And unfortunately we didn't get any pictures. So, if you ever hear someone come to your door trying to shampoo your carpets from Kirby, just say NO unless you want to spend 2 hours learning about how dirty your house or unless you want to spend $2000 on a vacuum.

Comments

W Hermann2 said…
Sorry Mary that you got stuck with a badly timed sales pitch. They come to our door all the time, with promises of free stuff or a "demonstration" that doesn't take much time!!Wrong! I just tell them I used to sell them (pre-University days!!)and that we are not interested. No candy treats for them!!Maybe you should have asked them for an extra vacuum bag that Matthew could have put on (holes in the top etc.) and go as a bag of hot air!! :) Dad H

Popular posts from this blog

Old Navy Coupon!!

Wahoo...I don't know if I've ever been more excited about a coupon before! Lately, I've been following a lot of neat money-saving blogs to see if I could cut our grocery budget down from about $1,000 a month and I'm proud to say that I've done that this month and cut it down to $400...more than HALF! That's partially why I haven't posted blogs in a while because this definitely keeps me busy, but I guess is well worth it! I use to just clip a few coupons, head to the store, and be so excited when I'd save $15-20 in one trip. (If you're interested in knowing the money-saving blogs I follow, let me know and I'll forward them to you!) Anyways, OldNavyWeekly.com hides several coupons on there each week (usually reloads on Thursdays) and a big coupon on there is $75 off $100 purchase. I tried last week to get it and even stayed up til 2 a.m. trying, but no luck (I really enjoy the challenge:). Last night, I tried at 8 p.m. and found they reloaded

A Little Bit of Christmas...

I've had a lot of fun this year decorating for Christmas! Last year we really didn't decorate since we had just moved into our house and weren't even in town long enough to enjoy it. Plus in years past, we've had a 4 foot Christmas tree that was "child-proof". Well this year our tree is definitely not child proof but I guess we took the risk. It's been great watching the kid's faces every morning looking at the tree and turning on the lights and train underneath it. We also figured out that the train calms Christopher down and sometimes puts him to sleep! Last night he was really fussy and after a while we weren't sure what to do. So we just sat down in front of the tree and turned the train on for Matt, and Christopher just watched it go around and round for a while and stopped crying! We'll have to try that again!...maybe we should keep the train out year round! :) Daniel was in the Christmas spirit last night and decided to wrap two presents

Joseph, Mary, and Baby Jesus...Contemporary style

Yesterday I went to the store for a few things and ended up buying a Nativity set and displayed it in the house. Of course, it wasn't long before the kids found it and started playing with the pieces. Matthew ran around saying "Baby Jesus!...I love you baby Jesus!" and then Katherine wanted to pretend that Christopher was baby Jesus. So a few towels, headbands, and bathrobes later, this is the outcome:) Katherine praying over her newly born baby Jesus- Katherine and baby Jesus so excited and filled with joy- Joseph, Mary, and baby Jesus in the stable (yes, with a Christmas tree in the background)- Luke 2:14 "And you will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth."