Skip to main content

Our trip to the Waco Zoo

The past few weeks have been kinda crazy since Katherine and I both came down with the flu. She missed a week of school and then LISD was out of school this past M-Wed. for teacher holiday, so she practically had a mini vacation! We are blessed that the boys didn't catch it! Fortunately, we were all feeling better by the time the teacher holiday rolled around so we were able to get out of the house...and boy was I ready to get out!!

Since the weather was so nice, we decided to venture out to the Cameron Park Zoo in Waco. It was so fun and well worth the 1.5 hour drive out there. We were so lucky in our timing because we practically had the whole zoo to ourselves and the animals were all out and we got to see them up close and personal that day. This was definitely my favorite zoo that I've been to since it was very interactive for the kids and the animals were all close together so we didn't have to walk for miles before seeing the next animal.

The tiger was the first animal we saw and I've never seen one so close up before! He was just strolling around his cage and gave us a friendly greeting.

Christopher was sure to keep an eye on that big animal...stay away!

Then we ventured over and saw the Lemurs. The one in the background is so funny...he looked like he was meditating or something. When we got there, the lemurs had just been let out because it had to be at least 40 degrees for them to be let outside.


The giraffes were by far our favorite animal to see. We got to see them so close up while they were eating and got to watch them on top of a bridge (in the background of this picture) so we were at their eye level. (Oh and if you're wondering why Matthew isn't in very many pictures, it's because he would run off almost every time we tried to take one with him in it. Guess he was feeling camera shy that day).



We also got to see the lions and lionesses up close as they were sunbathing and napping.


The otters were another favorite of the kids. They had a slide the kids could go down and would pass through the otter tank. The otters were really fast swimmers so it was hard to get a picture of one actually swimming under the kids.


Near the otter tank, was the black bear. This was another cool thing to see...we got to see the bear go for a swim and come right up to the glass where we were. Eventually he got out and went back out in the sun, but it was so neat to see him so close up and under water. Sorry for the glare from the glass...My friend Jessica actually took this picture of the bear and caught me in the reflection trying to take a picture of the bear. I thought it was a neat picture...you're looking at his face and his nose is in the top right corner.



Matthew getting a visit from the wolves.

The Waco zoo had a neat playground area for the kids which was a nice break to let them run free and play. The snake was neat for the kids to run through it's mouth, although I think Katherine felt like it was really going to bite her or something. They also had butterfly boards the kids could stand behind and take their picture...cute!





Matthew really loved the meerkats and kept trying to talk to them. They were so cute and would just sit on that rock and look around at us.

There were so many other animals we got to see and we all had such a great time at the zoo that we can't wait to go again! It's definitely a fun trip that's worth every penny and every minute to get there.

Comments

Shanna said…
Wow--I loved catching up on your family. Thanks for sending me the link. Your kids are adorable. Yes, I love having a boy but oh my gosh!! I'm praying our second will actually sit still long enough for me to grab groceries!! ;> PLEASE let me know next time you're in town--I'd LOVE to get together with you. --Shanna

Popular posts from this blog

Old Navy Coupon!!

Wahoo...I don't know if I've ever been more excited about a coupon before! Lately, I've been following a lot of neat money-saving blogs to see if I could cut our grocery budget down from about $1,000 a month and I'm proud to say that I've done that this month and cut it down to $400...more than HALF! That's partially why I haven't posted blogs in a while because this definitely keeps me busy, but I guess is well worth it! I use to just clip a few coupons, head to the store, and be so excited when I'd save $15-20 in one trip. (If you're interested in knowing the money-saving blogs I follow, let me know and I'll forward them to you!) Anyways, OldNavyWeekly.com hides several coupons on there each week (usually reloads on Thursdays) and a big coupon on there is $75 off $100 purchase. I tried last week to get it and even stayed up til 2 a.m. trying, but no luck (I really enjoy the challenge:). Last night, I tried at 8 p.m. and found they reloaded

A Little Bit of Christmas...

I've had a lot of fun this year decorating for Christmas! Last year we really didn't decorate since we had just moved into our house and weren't even in town long enough to enjoy it. Plus in years past, we've had a 4 foot Christmas tree that was "child-proof". Well this year our tree is definitely not child proof but I guess we took the risk. It's been great watching the kid's faces every morning looking at the tree and turning on the lights and train underneath it. We also figured out that the train calms Christopher down and sometimes puts him to sleep! Last night he was really fussy and after a while we weren't sure what to do. So we just sat down in front of the tree and turned the train on for Matt, and Christopher just watched it go around and round for a while and stopped crying! We'll have to try that again!...maybe we should keep the train out year round! :) Daniel was in the Christmas spirit last night and decided to wrap two presents

Joseph, Mary, and Baby Jesus...Contemporary style

Yesterday I went to the store for a few things and ended up buying a Nativity set and displayed it in the house. Of course, it wasn't long before the kids found it and started playing with the pieces. Matthew ran around saying "Baby Jesus!...I love you baby Jesus!" and then Katherine wanted to pretend that Christopher was baby Jesus. So a few towels, headbands, and bathrobes later, this is the outcome:) Katherine praying over her newly born baby Jesus- Katherine and baby Jesus so excited and filled with joy- Joseph, Mary, and baby Jesus in the stable (yes, with a Christmas tree in the background)- Luke 2:14 "And you will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth."