Skip to main content

What's Going On with the Farmer Kids?

I know it's been so long since I've posted a decent update on what's going on with us! Here's a much needed update on our little munchkins-


Aren't these clouds beautiful??



Katherine lost her second tooth the other day in the car!! She was so excited that the Tooth Fairy was going to come that night (well she hoped;-) Since Daniel was out of town all week on a business trip and Grandma Farmer was visiting that day, I completely forgot about putting the dollar under her pillow!! We had put her tooth in a felt type gray bag and supposedly in the middle of the night, which I don't remember at all, she came in crying that the tooth fairy hadn't come to bring her a dollar and that her tooth was still there. I felt HORRIBLE the next morning that I completely forgot! So I tried to cover myself and told her that I BET the Tooth Fairy couldn't see her tooth since it was in that gray bag and the Tooth Fairy is soo small (like Tinkerbell size) so she probably just couldn't find it! The first time she lost a tooth we put it in a clear bag so she bought that story somewhat. Aghhh...the failing moments of parenthood. Well the next night I was sure to remember! Thank goodness.



Well, Katherine has been excelling at reading this summer and has already gotten several prizes at the library for her reading log. She is reading above her level and the best thing is that she truly enjoys it. I've learned that Katherine is a somewhat shy, independent, smart little girl. The other day we were cleaning up the house, and she went in her room, shut the door and told Matthew to stay out because she needed some PEACE AND QUIET. WHERE does she get that from?? Hmmm....Well she was serious too. She stayed in there for about 30 minutes and cleaned and organized every part of her room without being told. She organized and lined up all the shoes in the closet, organized her play kitchen, made her bed, and cleaned up all her toys. I was SUPER impressed! What 5 year olds do that without being told??

Katherine also is very concerned with other people and their eternal salvation. She told her friend Ashley down the street the ABC's of salvation and was very concerned because she told me that her friend didn't want to listen. I told her that some people may not want to listen, but it's ok. She's doing a great job of just telling them in the first place. She truly cares about other people's feelings and really wants to please you. She also wants to know the reasoning and logic behind things and why we do things the way we do.



Also, Katherine has been my little Speed Limit monitor while I've been driving (Darn! No more speeding??). She has learned to spot out the speed limit signs on the streets, look at my speedometer, and let me know if I'm going too fast. It sure has taught me to leave a little earlier for some places or just be late!

Well, I can't believe that Katherine is going to be in first grade (and will be 6 years old in August)! This summer has really flown by and now I understand why people say that once your kids are in school (we only have one for now, but still) that time just flies and I truly believe it.



I can't believe how much Matthew has changed over the past few months, especially since his third birthday in April. Matthew has really developed his little personality and I must say that he is all people person! I never thought that one of MY children would be so outgoing and not be afraid to talk to people...anybody! He has made so many friends everywhere we've gone and people seem so attracted to him and love talking to him. One time we were at the doctor's office waiting for our turn and Matthew found a man to talk to who had a VERY large belly. Matthew talked to him for a while and then asked "Do you have a baby in your tummy?" so loud that the entire waiting area heard and started chuckling. Of course, I was embarrassed and told Matthew to shush and come sit down. Good thing the man didn't seem to mind and just told Matthew that he's had a little too much to eat and just smiled and walked off. Man..wheww! I'm excited that he loves to talk and people can understand him clearly, especially since we weren't sure if his speech was delayed when he was younger. What a blessing!



I've really seen Matthew's love for people lately. I really think that someday he'll be a salesman because he loves people and he's great at negotiating...watch out if a Matthew Farmer comes to your door someday! He is also very verbal about how he loves you and will often come up to me and say "I love you" and then run off. He's also told our neighbor friend that he loves her too several times. He is not afraid to express his feelings, which is great. Sometimes Matthew seems fearless, which I always have to be aware of. A few weeks ago he jumped into our neighborhood pool after just arriving while I was holding Christopher (and not looking either) and he can't swim. Fortunately a neighbor saw him and fished him out, but I learned that day that he really doesn't have a lot of fear and thinks he can do anything. I've really been enjoying the past few months with Matthew because he's really developed a lot and just "come out of his shell" a lot which has been really fun to watch.



On a side note, I'm so excited that Matthew is almost completely potty trained! He's doing great with going #2 in the potty, but still isn't great about going #1 all the time. But I'm so excited he's like that and not the reverse. If you have kids in pull-ups and diapers, you'll totally understand my reason for excitement here!



Christopher turned one in May and I've had so much fun watching him too! It's almost been like he's our very first baby and I think that's partially due to him being our last, if that makes sense. I've just come to realize that he's our last baby and so I've been loving on him every chance I get (have I ever mentioned that I LOVE babies?).

Christopher is 14 months old now and just started walking! He's been a little slower than the other two kids in that area, partially because he's gotten carried everywhere by his siblings (and me at times:). But even though he might be delayed in that, Christopher has really taken off with his speech. He has started saying several words and tries to mimic sounds and knows how to shake and nod his head when I ask him a question. For example, the other day we were munching on some candy and of course he noticed and knew what we were doing. So I asked Christopher if he wanted some and he nodded his head. Then I asked if he wanted "this" kind or "that" kind to which he shook his head about the first kind (I think it was dark chocolate) and nodded about the second kind (salt water taffy). That amazed me that he knew somewhat how to discern what type of candy he wanted!! He's also our only child who's been able to do some sign language, such as "More" or "Please", which has helped greatly in knowing what he wants.

I've noticed that Christopher's personality seems somewhat like Katherine's. He loves to read, loves to just sit back and watch what's going on, and loves to help clean (and actually will help put his toys away when we sing the Clean Up song)! Sometimes he'll take a rag or napkin and take it over to the coffee table and wipe it off or he'll wipe the floor with it. Yay!! Also when he's done drinking from his cup, if he's sitting on the kitchen floor, he'll set it back down on the floor upright and hates it if it falls over. I remember Matthew used to throw his bottle across the room when he was done with it, so I'm excited to see that it's not just a "boy" trait.



Christopher loves balls...basketball, football, soccer, etc. and will try to say "One, Two, Three" before he throws a ball. It sounds more like "Ahh, Eww, Eee" but we still get the point. I think someday he'll definitely have an interest in sports (I think Matthew's more interested in musical things).



At the end of the day, even when I feel like a chicken with it's head cut off, I love to look at my kids and just remember how much I'm blessed. God has blessed Daniel and I with three great kids and each other and we're so thankful. Well, that's the update on our kids! I'll post again next time with what Daniel and I have been up to these days (although the three items I posted about above occupy a lot of my time:)






Enjoy the pictures!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old Navy Coupon!!

Wahoo...I don't know if I've ever been more excited about a coupon before! Lately, I've been following a lot of neat money-saving blogs to see if I could cut our grocery budget down from about $1,000 a month and I'm proud to say that I've done that this month and cut it down to $400...more than HALF! That's partially why I haven't posted blogs in a while because this definitely keeps me busy, but I guess is well worth it! I use to just clip a few coupons, head to the store, and be so excited when I'd save $15-20 in one trip. (If you're interested in knowing the money-saving blogs I follow, let me know and I'll forward them to you!) Anyways, OldNavyWeekly.com hides several coupons on there each week (usually reloads on Thursdays) and a big coupon on there is $75 off $100 purchase. I tried last week to get it and even stayed up til 2 a.m. trying, but no luck (I really enjoy the challenge:). Last night, I tried at 8 p.m. and found they reloaded

A Little Bit of Christmas...

I've had a lot of fun this year decorating for Christmas! Last year we really didn't decorate since we had just moved into our house and weren't even in town long enough to enjoy it. Plus in years past, we've had a 4 foot Christmas tree that was "child-proof". Well this year our tree is definitely not child proof but I guess we took the risk. It's been great watching the kid's faces every morning looking at the tree and turning on the lights and train underneath it. We also figured out that the train calms Christopher down and sometimes puts him to sleep! Last night he was really fussy and after a while we weren't sure what to do. So we just sat down in front of the tree and turned the train on for Matt, and Christopher just watched it go around and round for a while and stopped crying! We'll have to try that again!...maybe we should keep the train out year round! :) Daniel was in the Christmas spirit last night and decided to wrap two presents

Joseph, Mary, and Baby Jesus...Contemporary style

Yesterday I went to the store for a few things and ended up buying a Nativity set and displayed it in the house. Of course, it wasn't long before the kids found it and started playing with the pieces. Matthew ran around saying "Baby Jesus!...I love you baby Jesus!" and then Katherine wanted to pretend that Christopher was baby Jesus. So a few towels, headbands, and bathrobes later, this is the outcome:) Katherine praying over her newly born baby Jesus- Katherine and baby Jesus so excited and filled with joy- Joseph, Mary, and baby Jesus in the stable (yes, with a Christmas tree in the background)- Luke 2:14 "And you will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth."