Skip to main content

Feeding Your Spirit

I currently subscribe to a daily email devotional from Christian Women Today Devotionals and often times I don't even take the time to read it because of my busy schedule. Or maybe sometimes I just don't want to read what it says for fear of being convicted. Recently I've been down in the slumps a lot and it seems like it's been a roller coaster ride for me lately. I don't know if it's from having a baby or what, but I really need some motivation to get my act together! Some days I feel like a great parent, a great wife, a great cook, a great household organizer, and a good friend. I've got dinner in the oven by 5, dessert made, homework done by 4, the house cleaned, laundry done, and the plants watered. However, other days, I am lazy and don't take a shower until 3 p.m., right before Katherine gets home from school. I feed Matthew chocolate pudding for lunch because it's easy, and I stick Christopher in the swing so he'll fall asleep. I schedule things in my day so I won't have to deal with certain issues or tasks I've put off....I know I know. BUT today I actually decided to read the devotional that normally goes unread in my Inbox. This is what it said-
-----------------------------------------
~Feeding Your Spirit~
Do you notice how your spirit is affected by the things you feed it? We feed our spirit by the things we dwell on in our minds. When doubt, discouragement, depression or fear drag our spirits to the depths, we need to stop and look at the paths our thoughts have been running down.
God knows us so well. He knows our tendency to settle into the depths of despair. He gives us five verses in Psalm 103:1-5 to address this very thing. Turn your thoughts to God's Word and choose to lift your eyes off yourself and raise them to Heaven.
-"Praise the LORD, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name."
Sometimes it takes everything in us to turn our eyes to Heaven and to offer the sacrifice of praise from a heavy heart.
-"Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits"
When our eyes move from our own state of affairs we can look at all God offers us. Listen to the refreshing, life-giving things God asks us not to forget:
-Who FORGIVES all your sins
Thank you, Lord, that I am forgiven. Fill me with the wonder of a clean heart. Help me to declare my forgiveness when I am tempted to wallow in the pit of despair over my past, my failures and my weaknesses. I am forgiven!
-And HEALS all your diseases
Lord, I bring my aching body to You and ask You to touch me with Your hand of healing. Give me wisdom and understanding of what to do physically. I also bring the diseases of my heart to you. Lord, remove all bitterness and pride and show me the things that erode my spirit.
-Who REDEEMS your life from the pit
Lord, I am amazed at the fact that You reach into the pit that I sometimes dig for myself... and You lift me up. You bring beauty out of ashes as I trust in You. You buy back all the broken pieces and give me new life! Thank you!
-And CROWNS you with love and compassion
Lord, Your care and tenderness is a constant surprise even though I know You love me. Thank You for the attention You give to the details of my life as I offer it to You.
-Who SATISFIES your desires with good things
Thank you that Your plans for me are to find my fulfillment in You as I offer myself to You. You made me and You know how to grow me into all I ever wanted to be.
-"So that your youth is RENEWED like the eagle's."
Lord, when I see how You forgive me, heal me, redeem my life, crown me with Your love and satisfy me, I am truly renewed in my spirit.
~Thank you for this wonderful view of Your desires for me.
I WILL praise You with everything that is within me.
"Praise the Lord O my soul, all my inmost being, praise His holy name."
-----------------------------------------
I just found this devotional really encouraging and thought I'd pass it on. I'm thankful that God is able to feed our Spirit with good things and bring us out of the pit when we feel there's no rope to grab onto. May you be encouraged by this...and have a great day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old Navy Coupon!!

Wahoo...I don't know if I've ever been more excited about a coupon before! Lately, I've been following a lot of neat money-saving blogs to see if I could cut our grocery budget down from about $1,000 a month and I'm proud to say that I've done that this month and cut it down to $400...more than HALF! That's partially why I haven't posted blogs in a while because this definitely keeps me busy, but I guess is well worth it! I use to just clip a few coupons, head to the store, and be so excited when I'd save $15-20 in one trip. (If you're interested in knowing the money-saving blogs I follow, let me know and I'll forward them to you!) Anyways, OldNavyWeekly.com hides several coupons on there each week (usually reloads on Thursdays) and a big coupon on there is $75 off $100 purchase. I tried last week to get it and even stayed up til 2 a.m. trying, but no luck (I really enjoy the challenge:). Last night, I tried at 8 p.m. and found they reloaded

A Little Bit of Christmas...

I've had a lot of fun this year decorating for Christmas! Last year we really didn't decorate since we had just moved into our house and weren't even in town long enough to enjoy it. Plus in years past, we've had a 4 foot Christmas tree that was "child-proof". Well this year our tree is definitely not child proof but I guess we took the risk. It's been great watching the kid's faces every morning looking at the tree and turning on the lights and train underneath it. We also figured out that the train calms Christopher down and sometimes puts him to sleep! Last night he was really fussy and after a while we weren't sure what to do. So we just sat down in front of the tree and turned the train on for Matt, and Christopher just watched it go around and round for a while and stopped crying! We'll have to try that again!...maybe we should keep the train out year round! :) Daniel was in the Christmas spirit last night and decided to wrap two presents

Joseph, Mary, and Baby Jesus...Contemporary style

Yesterday I went to the store for a few things and ended up buying a Nativity set and displayed it in the house. Of course, it wasn't long before the kids found it and started playing with the pieces. Matthew ran around saying "Baby Jesus!...I love you baby Jesus!" and then Katherine wanted to pretend that Christopher was baby Jesus. So a few towels, headbands, and bathrobes later, this is the outcome:) Katherine praying over her newly born baby Jesus- Katherine and baby Jesus so excited and filled with joy- Joseph, Mary, and baby Jesus in the stable (yes, with a Christmas tree in the background)- Luke 2:14 "And you will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth."